Health at the Heart of all we do
Parnell Trust's Green Kids Programme plays a core role in life and learning at the Trust's Early Childhood Centres.
The programme encompasses healthy eating, physical activity, food and nutrition learning curriculum programmes and a commitment to extend these healthy messages into the wider community.
Here is what we're doing at Gladstone Park and Parnell Early Childhood Centres:
- Our full-time Chef, Fern Pereira, creates menus of delicious healthy meals and snacks that are prepared in the centres kitchen aided by the kitchen team.
- In the children's rooms, our teachers develop imaginative projects to educate and involve children in healthy eating and nutrition activities.
- Learning activities include the children helping with our edible gardens planting new seasons fruits, vegetables and herbs; harvesting what we grow; making snacks and seeing the garden produce turned into snacks and meals.
- In the kitchen, children also get involved in Baking Day and preparation of nutritious foods such as making sugar-free Muesli and fruit smoothies.
- Outside, children are engaged in planned physical activities and games designed to get little hearts and legs pumping.